Sunday, September 9, 2007

Save a Polar Bear!

"Global warming" is a phrase so overused and media-appropriated, it seems to have lost meaning, significance, and any ring of truth. Most people, myself included, are more affected my concrete examples than by general warnings. And nothing could be more affecting than the thought of polar bears going extinct.


In the past ten years, polar bear death rates have been skyrocketing. Polar bears are drowning in record numbers. What does this have to do with global warming? Every year, polar bears migrate, just like birds. Except rather than flying, they have to swim between destinations. Sadly, global warming is decreasing the size of ice masses, and increasing the distance between them. Polar bears now have to swim between 30 and 40 km to their destinations. Increasing numbers of bears simply don't have the strength, and drown.

Every time you have a choice between an eco-friendly option and a convenient option, think of it this way. Every time you buy fluorescent rather than incandescent bulbs, every time you walk or bike or take the bus rather than drive, every time you bring your own mug instead of taking a paper or Styrofoam cup, you're saving a polar bear!

Without drastic changes in the way we live and consume, the polar bear could be extinct by the end of the century. That just makes me want to cry!

_________

Okay, I had to get that off my chest! I have some crafting updates, too.

I have different plans for the new orange purse. I've finished one half and am started on the second of the big orange circles that make up the base of the purse. But now I've decided that my purse will be a red panda instead of an orange!


The chinese red panda looks like a combination raccoon, panda, kitten and bear! Check out some videos on youtube.com to see that it also has a sweet-as-pie disposition. Like many cute little animals, the red panda is endangered! My plan is to make some red panda-themed knits and sell them, donating part of the profits to the World Wildlife Organization. =)


What a cutie!

My boss-lady loaned me a portable sewing machine, but without the manual or much experience with sewing machines, it just led to a lot of cursing last night. Looks like I'm waiting until I go home after all. I'll just have to keep myself busy knitting cute things in the meantime.

Aaaaaand, the monkeys are almost done! Sock Two just needs a toe and some Kitchener-stitchin'! And then pictures, I swear!

=^-^=

No comments: